Marjorie Post so loved dogs that she created a memorial pet cemetery at Hillwood. We invite you to bring your "best friend" to Hillwood for Halloween fun.
Explore Hillwood's twenty-five acres of landscaped gardens and lush natural woodlands with your four-legged friend, while enjoying the following activities.
Strut your mutt and size up the other canine contestants. Prizes will be awarded in the following categories:
• Best Homemade
• Most Glamorous
• Best Owner & Dog Combination Costume
• Scampi’s Choice (best overall)
Stop by Merriweather To Go to pick up a special Spooky Pooch signature cocktail, light snacks, and dog treats.
City Dogs Rescue
City Dogs rescues adoptable dogs and cats and helps them find permanent and loving homes. Learn about the work they do and find out more about fostering or adopting.
Activities take place rain or shine. In the event of rain, the costume contest will take place in the airy and open shelter of the C.W. Post courtyard tent.
3:45 p.m. Deadline to enter costume contest
4:00 p.m. Costume competition begins
4:50 p.m. Winners announced*
*Must be present to win
Love visiting Hillwood with your canine pal? Hillwood members enjoy the special benefit of exploring Hillwood's landscaped gardens and lush woodlands with their four-legged friends every Sunday morning, 9:30 a.m.-12 noon. Not a member? Join today!
By purchasing a ticket to this event, you agree to the following guidelines:
- Dogs are not allowed on the estate outside the hours of the program.
- Dogs must be on a leash no longer than six feet at all times and under the control of their adult handlers. No retractable leashes.
- No more than 2 dogs per adult handler. Hillwood reserves the right to remove groups lacking control.
- Dogs may not be left unattended at any time.
- To protect our plant collections and garden sculptures, stay in designated areas only.
- Keep your dogs on the path and designated grassy areas. Dogs are not permitted in planting beds.
- Dogs are not permitted in any indoor facilities.
- Aggressive dogs are not permitted on the estate. Hillwood reserves the right to refuse entry to, or remove, any dog thought to be harmful to visitors, other dogs, or property, without refund.
- Dogs must have current license and rabies vaccination tags.
- You are required to clean up after your dog with pet waste bags and dispose of the bags properly.
- Full- and part-time staff and their households are encouraged to participate, but are not eligible to win the costume contest.