Indulge your inner Francophile with French amusements from the 1700s in celebration of Bastille Day and Hillwood's French decorative arts collection.
A day of fun for the whole family includes the following activities:
- Add to the festive atmosphere by making and wearing a French bergère or Napoleon hat
- Watch a short play where the festivities of French court come to life
- Experience the best of baroque dance with New York Baroque Dance Company
- Learn courtly manners from New York Baroque Dance Company
- Immerse yourself in music of the 1700s with Kevin Shannon’s baroque guitar
- Explore Hillwood’s luscious gardens
- And of course, admire the exquisite collection of French decorative arts from the 1700s collected by Marjorie Merriweather Post.
Come rain or shine, performances take place in the airy and open shelter of the C. W. Post courtyard tent, and the visitor center theater. Outdoor games and garden talks are weather dependent.
All of Hillwood’s 2019 festivals are supported by a grant from the Sally Foss and James Scott Hill Foundation. All exhibitions and programs are funded in part by the U.S. Commission on the Fine Arts through the National Capital Arts and Cultural Affairs program.