Plan Your Visit
Pricing & Hours
Children under 6 visit for free! Children ages 6-18 visit for just $5. See Open Hours and Tickets for more information.
Free parking is available on the estate. See Getting to Us for directions, transportation, and parking information.
Enrich your Experience
Make art of your own and engage in hands-on activities and other festive entertainment during regularly scheduled family programs. Check the calendar for special activities the day of your visit.
- Restrooms with changing stations
- Complimentary coat check
- Accessibility services, including accessible paths and stroller-friendly walkways
Food & Drink
Café Dining: Enjoy snacks such as apples, chips, cookies, and juice from Merriweather To Go, or relax in Merriweather Café with a full-service meal. High chairs and booster seats are available.
Picnicking: Bring a meal or snack from home, or purchase sandwiches or other treats for take-out from Merriweather To Go, and enjoy a picnic on the lawn in one of the designated picnic locations.
Vending Machines and Water Fountains: Drink vending machines are located in the visitor center and near Merriweather Café. There is also a water fountain in the visitor center.
Check out the selection of toys, games, and children’s books in the Museum Shop.
It’s easy to come back whenever you’d like with a family membership. Benefits include discounts at festivals and family programs.
At Hillwood you can:
- Explore the enchanting gardens
- Discover treasures from France and Russia
- Relax with your family in Marjorie Post’s former home
Family Audio Guide
Explore the mansion’s Russian art with Stories of Hillwood’s Russian Treasures, a 45-minute audio tour narrated by characters from Russia’s past. Pick up a free audio guide at the visitor center tour desk. Perfect for children ages 8-12.
Celebrate art and culture through art-making, music, storytelling, movies, dancing, games and more! Attend one of our many family days or festivals to create your own artwork and enjoy hands-on activities.
Check out our calendar or sign up for our email newsletter to receive information about upcoming programs.
Create your own Family Adventure
Play a game as you explore the mansion and gardens:
Animal Art Safari
Look closely at the dishes, tapestries, sculptures, and other art and you will find all kinds of animals, from elephants to ladybugs. There are even some imaginary creatures like dragons and eagles with two heads!
Strike a Pose!
Explore the statues in the gardens and the portraits in the mansion. Choose a statue or portrait and pose like the person, animal, or magical creature in the artwork.
Alphabet or Color Search
Look for things that start with each letter of the alphabet. How many can you find?
Or choose a favorite color: how many things can you find with that color on them?
Take turns choosing an object and describing it so that other family members can guess what it is. Look closely at the object so you can describe it well!
One family member selects an object in the mansion or gardens. The rest of the family asks yes/no questions to try to figure out what the object is. Can you figure out the answer in 20 questions or less?
Have one family member take 60 seconds to look at one object, or room, or garden. Then have that person turn his or her back to the object and quiz them on the details.
Help us protect the art and gardens so everyone can enjoy the Look, but please don’t touch the objects in the mansion—including the furniture and walls. In the gardens, don’t pick up flowers, plants, or stones. Please hold hands and stay together!
- Walk, do not run. Stay on paths and don’t climb on rocks or statues in the gardens
- Check large bags and coats in the complimentary coat check upon entering the mansion. Strollers and portable car seats should be left outside the mansion entrance. Baby backpacks are not permitted in the mansion.
- You are welcome to take informal, non-flash photography in the visitor center, mansion, all garden spaces, and the greenhouse for personal, non-commercial use. Please note, photography in special exhibitions may be restricted.
- Enjoy food and drink at Merriweather Café or in designated picnic areas only.
More to Explore with Children