Please note: For your safety during this time, our policies have changed. Please consult our Temporary Visitor Guidelines for our most up-to-date visitation information.
Allow plenty of time: Hillwood guests average close to three hours per visit. Arrive early to allow ample time to enjoy everything Hillwood has to offer.
Visit Tuesday through Friday: Weekdays tend to be less busy than weekends.
Dress for comfort: Wear comfortable walking shoes and appropriate clothing for the seasons, so you may enjoy all the breathtaking outdoor spaces.
Every season is beautiful at Hillwood: Spring and fall seasons are popular, but the gardens have much to offer during summer and winter.
Please leave your pets at home: With the exceptions of service dogs and specially designated mornings for Hillwood members only, dogs are not permitted on the property. We cannot allow entrance to vehicles with pets inside.
Touring options: Hillwood offers a variety of complimentary ways to see the estate. Learn more and find the touring option that fits best for you.
Reserve in advance: Reservations are not required, but you can save time at check in by registering in advance. Make your arrangements online or call the Visitor Information Office at 202.686.5807, Monday through Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Bicyclists are welcome: A bicycle rack is available near the visitor center.
Please don't smoke: Hillwood is a smoke-free campus. All forms of smoking, including electronic cigarettes, are prohibited.
Selfie Sticks: Please note, the use of selfie sticks is prohibited inside all interior spaces of Hillwood. You may enjoy using your selfie sticks in the gardens, but please be mindful of other visitors nearby.
Take a seat: Benches and chairs are located throughout the estate and in the Mansion for visitor use. Take your time and rest often.
In the Mansion:
- All ages are welcome in the mansion & gardens. When accompanying young children, please hold hands and stay together.
- While visiting, take advantage of our complimentary coat check.
In the Gardens:
- Watch your step. Some of the natural stone paths are uneven.
- Please stay on designated paths.
- Please do not pick or gather flowers or plants.
- Visitors may bring food and non-alcoholic beverages for picnics, or purchase food, beverages, beer, and wine at Merriweather Café. Picnic maps and complimentary picnic blankets are available in the visitor center.