Department: Security Services
Title: Special Police Officer (SPO)
Status: Full-time and Part-time; Overtime eligible (Non-exempt)
The actual work schedule varies based on need and employment status and may involve day, evening or night work. Requires Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays. Must be available to work in excess of scheduled shift without prior notice.
0 – 10%
Incumbent is a critical member of a security team responsible for protecting Hillwood’s collections, facilities, visitors, and employees and to take police action when appropriate in line with District of Columbia Law and Hillwood Policies.
Key Job Elements:
- Effectively apply as required offensive and defensive weapons to include fire arm (evenings, nights and special events), pepper spray, collapsible baton and handcuffs.
- Provide a visual security presence to ensure that visitors have a safe and pleasant experience while visiting Hillwood, while also providing protection to Hillwood’s collections taking police action when appropriate;
- Conduct regular security patrols throughout the property to ensure the protection of the collections, facilities, visitors, and employees;
- Monitor alarm systems;
- Greet visitors at entrance gates and assist with questions, as needed;
- Inform facilities department of any equipment appearing to be in need of repair, including HVAC operations;
- Be familiar with and understand Hillwood’s emergency procedures and be prepared to act accordingly;
- Facilitate crowd control as required;
- Provide assistance when visitors and/or employees are injured, contacting emergency services, as needed;
- Operate motorized transportation carts; and
- Other duties as may be assigned in line with the general scope and nature of the position.
- Reports to assigned Shift Supervisor
- nteracts with various levels and types of staff and visitors
- SPO’s must be a minimum of 21 years old.
- U.S. Citizenship required.
- Possess or successfully obtain and a assign to Hillwood a District of Columbia Special Police Officer license with an armed designation (or an unarmed designation at Hillwood’s discretion) issued by the Security Officer Management Branch and maintain such license in active status while employed.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license for state of residence and an acceptable driving record for insurability purposes.
- High School diploma or GED. Completion of a private, military, or trade school training program that includes theory and on-the-job work is preferred;
- Two years of security experience with general public interaction required, preferably in a cultural property protection environment;
- Knowledge and use of a computer based security alarm/access control system highly desirable;
- Certification in First Aid, Adult and Child CPR and AED (automated external defibrillator) or ability to obtain once employed
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrate competence in the use of offensive and defensive weapons as required to maintain SPO licensure.
- Ability to interpret and apply policies and procedures;
- Possess and exhibit excellent customer service and human interaction skills;
- Effectively communicate in English both written and orally.
- Ability to maintain composure in crisis situations;
- Demonstrate the highest level of confidentiality;
- Ability to complete thorough and detailed incident reports, statements, gate logs, etc.
- Effectively execute assigned work protocols;
- Reading and writing proficiency in English consistent with noted educational requirement;
- Must be able to work collegially and independent of intensive supervision;
- Ability to continually exhibit excellent personal and uniform grooming appearance;
- Ability to complete in-house or formal trainings or certifications as required;
- Operate and use required equipment skillfully and safely;
- Maintain cooperative working relationships; demonstrate sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse population;
- Personal time management to include the ability to be on post at the required shift start.
- Ability to remain alert in static or monotonous situations.
The physical requirements and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job or may be encountered while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with a disability to perform the essential functions to the extent the Company may do so without undue hardship. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual who with or without reasonable accommodation can perform the essential functions of the position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to follow and give oral and written instructions; stand, walk, and/or sit for extended periods of time with limited breaks; use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arm, and reach above shoulder height. The employee is regularly required to climb or balance, squat, kneel, and crouch. The employee is occasionally required to detect smells and lift, drag and/or move up to 50 pounds unassisted. The employee is required to visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. Special vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Employee is required to move about their work area, between buildings and the campus grounds, ascend and descend stairs and steep terrain. While performing the duties of this job the employee is subject outdoor weather conditions and temperatures which at times can be extreme. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate and general does not require the use of hearing protection equipment.
The preceding job description indicates the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time not does it proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at any time.
We are a progressive, equal opportunity employer and all candidates are encouraged to apply. Generous benefits, paid vacation and holiday programs. So, come work “Where Fabulous Lives!” For prompt consideration, please send a cover letter explaining your interest in working at Hillwood, and a resume to: Staffing-Sec@hillwoodmuseum.org.
We have multiple openings for security officers, so it is important that you denote the preferred shift and either Part-time or Full-time in the subject line or body of the email. You can only indicate one or the other not both. Properly identified submissions will receive priority consideration.