This opportunity is a temporary (12 weeks) full-time position with a pay rate of $15.00 per hour. 7am-3pm Sunday-Thursday.
Work with horticulture staff on routine garden and grounds maintenance tasks such as mowing, blowing, mulching, weeding, planting, pruning, watering, etc. Respond to priority emergency statuses during storms or natural disasters that require gardens and grounds to be cleared of debris.
- Perform routine grounds maintenance with assigned gardeners such as mowing and trimming lawns, blowing roads & walks, weeding and mulching, leaf removal, pruning, fertilizing and watering
- Plant and prune trees & shrubs; plant annuals and bulbs
- Respond to priority two emergency statuses during storms or natural disasters that require gardens and grounds to be cleared of debris
- Safe operation of power equipment (lawn mowers, blowers, string trimmers) and hand tools commonly used in the garden
- Haul compost/mulch, drive small tractor
- Requires physical strength & stamina, the ability to lift 50 pounds and work out-doors in all weather including snow
- Hard working and self-motivated
- Demonstrated knowledge of small equipment operation
- Experience performing common lawn, garden and grounds maintenance tasks.
- Experience driving a motorized vehicle
- Demonstrate the use of sound diplomatic and interpersonal skills in dealing with personnel at various levels as well as visitors.
The physical requirements and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job or may be encountered while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with a disability to perform the essential functions to the extent the Company may do so without undue hardship. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual who with or without reasonable accommodation can perform the essential functions of the position
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to follow and give oral and written instructions; stand, walk, and/or sit for extended periods of time with limited breaks; use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arm, and reach above shoulder height. The employee is regularly required to climb or balance, squat, kneel, and crouch. The employee is occasionally required to detect smells and lift, drag and/or move up to 50 pounds unassisted. The employee is required to visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. Special vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Employee is required to move about their work area, between buildings and the campus grounds, ascend and descend stairs and steep terrain. While performing the duties of this job the employee is subject outdoor weather conditions and temperatures which at times can be extreme. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate and can require the use of hearing protection equipment.
The preceding job description indicates the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
We are a progressive, equal opportunity employer and all candidates are encouraged to apply. You can do so by sending a cover letter explaining your interest and your resume to: Staffing-Hort@hillwoodmuseum.org