Reports to: Head Gardener
Employment Status: Overtime eligible (Non-Exempt)
Two positions available:
Full-time Position: 40 hour week Sunday through Thursday
Full-time Position: 40 hour week Tuesday through Saturday
Work with horticulture staff on routine gardens and grounds maintenance tasks such as mowing, blowing, mulching, weeding, planting, pruning, watering, etc. Respond to priority emergency statuses during storms or natural disasters that require gardens and grounds to be cleared of debris.
- Plant and prune trees & shrubs; plant annuals and bulbs
- Perform routine grounds maintenance with assigned gardeners such as mowing and trimming lawns, blowing roads & walks, weeding and mulching, leaf removal, pruning, fertilizing and watering.
- Respond to priority two emergency statuses during storms or natural disasters that require gardens and grounds to be cleared of debris
- Safe operation of power equipment (lawn mowers, blowers, string trimmers) and hand tools commonly used in the garden.
- Haul compost, drive small tractor.
- Requires physical strength & stamina, the ability to lift 50 pounds and work out-doors in all weather including snow.
- Hard working and self-motivated
- Demonstrated knowledge of small equipment operation
- Experience performing common lawn, garden and grounds maintenance tasks.
- Experience driving a motorized vehicle
In addition, they must demonstrate the use of sound diplomatic and interpersonal skills in dealing with personnel at various levels as well as visitors.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual who with or without reasonable accommodation can perform the essential functions of the position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate in English professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about their work area, between buildings and the campus grounds, handle various types and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess.
The preceding job description indicates the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
We are a progressive, equal opportunity employer and all candidates are encouraged to apply. You can do so by sending a cover letter explaining your interest and your resume to:
Please note if your application is limited to one particular schedule.