Department: Marketing, Communications, and Visitor Services
Title: Group Sales, Special Events, and Tourism Manager
Status: Full Time/Non-overtime eligible (Exempt)
Work Schedule: Generally comprises ten eight hour days in a two week period. Some evening hours and weekend days may be required in addition to special event coverage in order to meet job requirements.
Travel: 0 – 10%
The Group Sales, Special Events, and Tourism Manager is the primary staff person responsible for actively selling and booking group visits (tour and non-tour groups) and coordinating the daily operations of the group sales program. He/she performs a range of duties including generating and following up on leads, selling group visits, processing and coordinating all requests for groups, handling all group customer inquiries, producing status reports, and generating sales data. The core focus of this position is the development of sustained group attendance that meets established annual revenue and attendance goals. Additional duties include working with the local CVB and concierge organization to build the organization’s presence in the tourism industry, toward the goal of increasing tourist attendance. The position also includes booking and managing six to eight special events per year.
Key Job Elements:
- Identify and pursue strategic opportunities for capturing group visitors.
- Meet or exceed goals for new and returning group sales contracts.
- In consultation with the Director of Marketing and Visitor Experience, formulate and implement proactive group sales marketing campaigns.
- Maintain database and track group sales leads, inquiries, lost business, sales revenue, and provide ongoing status reports as required.
- Develop and participate in targeted group outreach events and programs; make personal appearances to sell group tours to Hillwood.
- Coordinate and process all phases of group contracts; book orders, secure deposits and payments for group ticket sales, group tours, and VIP tour reservations through the Tessitura ticketing and customer relationship management software.
- Establish and maintain relationships with travel, tourism,convention and meeting partners with a strong focus on tour wholesalers and tour operators.
- Achieve annual group attendance targets, including day of week distribution and revenue.
- Attend travel industry tradeshows and hospitality networking events to promote Hillwood and develop strong positioning in tour packaging and sales channels.
- Use the customer relationship management system to its best advantage in order to achieve attendance goals and deepen engagement with constituents.
- Use ticketing and CRM system to create reliable and actionable reporting on customer relationships, sales, and forecasts, and new prospects.
- Manage assigned revenue and expense budgets for fiscal year within assigned department.
- Coordinate with visitor services staff to schedule and confirm group sales reservations and tour requirements.
- Assure availability of docents for all groups requesting a guided tour.
- Arrange VIP tours with approved staff and designated docents as requested.
- Handle all requests for special events and coordinate as needed (approximately six to ten events per year).
- Perform other duties as requested.
- Reports to Director of Marketing and Visitor Experience
- Interacts with various levels of staff, visitors, members and volunteers.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related discipline. Marketing, communications, arts administration, museum studies, or hospitality preferred.
- 3+ years of group sales experience preferably in a museum, hospitality, or large gardens environment.
- Demonstrated success in the development, management, and execution of group sales campaigns.
- Solid writing and speaking ability and strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal communications with an emphasis on persuasion and generating action.
- Demonstrated time management skills and detail-orientation.
- Analytical and report writing skills.
- Access and employ job related computer software (i.e. Microsoft Office, Visitor Management, CRM) at an effective proficiency level.
- Accuracy, timeliness and strong organizational skills essential.
- Works independently with limited supervision.
- Adept at correspondence and other required materials in support of development activities.
- Well organized with a strong detail orientation and penchant for action.
- Customer service orientation and mindset.
The physical requirements and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job or may be encountered while performing the essential functions of this job.
The employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about their work area, between buildings and the campus grounds, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 15 pounds.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with a disability to perform the essential functions to the extent Hillwood may do so without undue hardship. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual who with or without reasonable accommodation can perform the essential functions of the position.
The preceding job description indicates the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time not does it proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at any time.
We are a progressive, equal opportunity employer and all candidates are encouraged to apply. Generous benefits, paid vacation and holiday programs. So, come work “Where Fabulous Lives!” For prompt consideration, send your resume to:
Staffing-Marketing@hillwoodmuseum.org Please note Group Sales in the subject line.