Title: Museum Shop Sales Associate
Reports to: Head of Retail Operations and Shop Experience
Overtime eligible (Non-Exempt). Starting pay rate of $16.00 per hour.
Total number of scheduled hours per week varies based on need. Employee’s schedule will be a combination of weekdays, Saturdays and some Sundays. Evening hours maybe required in addition to special event coverage.
Provide a positive shopping and customer service experience to museum shop patrons.
Key Job Elements:
- Continuously expand knowledge of Hillwood, MMP, and the collections.
- Inspire the customer to buy a treasured impression of their visit to Hillwood, encourage return shopping by making a personal connection.
- Maintain a professional and gracious manner with customers in person, via phone or mail or online.
- Develop product knowledge in order to communicate the connection to the Hillwood story to customers.
- Learn all of Hillwood’s systems and procedures to enhance selling efficiencies and complete all support duties.
- Maintain displays, restocking as needed throughout the day.
- Maintains the store appearance to include tidying displays, cleaning and keeping a neat cash wrap area.
- Open store including counting registers, ensuring adequate change, verify safe and engage lights and music. Removes and records amount of cash and checks in register at end of shift.
- Totals bill, accepts payment, and makes change for customers. Operates cash register with integrated credit card processing. Handles all returns courteously and professionally.
- Stamps, marks, or accurately tags price on merchandise in line with established protocols.
- Informs leadership of special orders and requests.
- Inform leadership of low stock levels
- Adhere to Loss Prevention and inventory control procedures.
- Provides support as needed with receiving, pricing, inventory and other functions.
- Provides support to Hillwood’s online shopping platform by taking photos of merchandise, format photos, write copy, pulling reports and orders, fulfilling, processing and other routine tasks.
- Assists with annual physical inventory.
- Efficient and accurate use of point of sale software.
- Demonstrated proficiency of sales and customer service techniques.
- Education, experience or passion for museums, art galleries or gardens.
- Polished customer service skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Basic math and computer access skills are essential. Must be able to make change in American monetary units.
- Work well with a diverse group of colleagues and an international clientele.
- Flexible to the changing needs of each day, and have the ability to handle a fast-paced environment while providing a quality visitor experience.
- Detail orientation
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual who with or without reasonable accommodation can perform the essential functions of the position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, stand for extended periods of time ascend/descend stairs, move about their work area, between buildings, and the campus grounds, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift and/or carry up to 25 pounds unassisted.
Notice: The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
We are a progressive, equal opportunity employer and all candidates are encouraged to apply. You can do so by sending a cover letter explaining your interest and your resume to: