Department: Curatorial - Library
Title: Archives & Special Collections Assistant (Administrative)
Status: Part Time; Overtime eligible (Non-exempt)
Work Schedule: The actual work schedule varies based on need.
Travel: 0 – 10%
The Assistant provides support for building and maintaining collections of books and ephemera, paper and electronic archival assets, and digital materials. Primary duties include managing the day-to-day administrative work of the department such as correspondence, ordering books and periodicals, attending to archival and image requests, digitizing and processing digital materials for upload to the digital asset management system, and assisting in creating original metadata to facilitate retrieval for items.
Key Job Elements:
- Maintain and develop periodicals collection, including keeping subscriptions current, receiving and claiming missing issues in library system (DBTextWorks), filling gaps in holdings, performing retrospective conversion of holdings into database, and applying proper preservation and conservation techniques to collection.
- Maintain and develop auction catalog collection, including keeping subscriptions current, receiving issues in DBTextWorks, circulating catalogs to appropriate staff, tracking and reshelving catalogues, claiming missing issues, filling gaps in holdings, copying catalogue collections, and applying proper preservation and conservation techniques to collection.
- Track library books which staff has checked out, including updating status of books in DBTextWorks, alerting staff if they need to return books, and generating reports.
- Process interlibrary loan requests.
- Assist Librarian with yearly inventory, moving collections as needed, purchasing library books, resolving problems with orders, and receiving materials in library management system.
- Process and acknowledge gifts.
- Maintain library files.
- Assist library patrons with library resources and information requests when Librarian not present.
- Perform other duties including assistance with special projects as needed.
- Reports to Chief Librarian
- Interacts with various levels and types of staff and visitors
- Bachelor's degree in liberal arts with preference for advanced degree in Library Science.
- Minimum 1−2 years related experience and knowledge of professional standards in libraries.
- Experience with resources and database searching in the field of art, art history, and bibliography.
- Knowledge of OCLC and/or RLIN and automated library systems, preferably DBTextWorks.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to interpret and apply policies and procedures.
- Process bills and invoices for payment.
- Prepare correspondence and reports.
- Open, sort, and distributing incoming correspondence; process outgoing mail and packages.
- Order and inventory office and library supplies.
- Possess and exhibit excellent customer service and human interaction skills;
- Access and employ job related computer software (i.e. Microsoft Office) at an effective proficiency level.
- Some foreign language skills (French or Russian) are desirable.
- Reading and writing proficiency consistent with noted educational requirement.
- Must be able to work collegially and independent of intensive supervision.
- Lift up to 25 pounds unassisted.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual who with or without reasonable accommodation can perform the essential functions of the position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about their work area, between buildings and the campus grounds, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. Parts of the position require some physical labor (i.e. moving of boxes, books).
The preceding job description indicates the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
We are a progressive, equal opportunity employer and all candidates are encouraged to apply. You can do so by sending a cover letter noting your pay requirements and your resume to: email@example.com
Please note Archives and Special Collections Assistant in the subject line.