Position: Security Officer – Part-time
Reports To: Head of Security
Position Status: Part-time
Location: Washington, DC
Date of Distribution: October 2014
- Provide an unarmed visual security presence to ensure that visitors have a safe and pleasant experience while visiting the Estate, while also providing protection to the Estate’s collections;
- Greet visitors at entrance gates and assist with questions, as needed;
- Conduct regular security patrols throughout the property to support the protection of the collections, facilities, visitors, and employees;
- Inform facilities department of any equipment appearing to be in need of repair, including HVAC operations;
- Monitor alarm systems;
- Be familiar with and understand the Estate’s emergency procedures.
- Facilitate crowd control as required.
- Provide assistance when visitors and/or employees are injured, contacting emergency services, as needed.
- Other responsibilities as required.
- Stand, walk, and/or sit for extended periods of time with limited breaks;
- Move freely through poorly lit and remote locations, including steep terrain;
- Operate motorized transportation carts;
- Ascend and descend numerous flights of stairs;
- Work indoors and outdoors, in varying weather conditions;
- Lift objects weighing 50+ pounds;
- Subject to random drug testing.
- Two years of security experience required, preferably with at least one year of security experience in a cultural property protection environment;
- High school diploma or equivalent;
- Strong reading, writing, and oral communications skills;
- Ability to acquire and maintain a District of Columbia Security Guard license issued by the Security Officer Management Branch;
- Ability to interpret and apply policies and procedures;
- Possess and exhibit excellent customer service and human interaction skills;
- Ability to maintain composure in crisis situations;
- Demonstrate the highest level of confidentiality;
- Ability to complete thorough and detailed incident reports, statements, gate logs, etc.;
- Knowledge and use of a computer base security alarm/access control system highly desirable;
- Must be able to work collegially and independent of intensive supervision;
- Ability to continually exhibit excellent personal and uniform grooming appearance; and
- Certification in First Aid, Adult and Child CPR and AED (automated external defibrillator) or ability to obtain once employed.