Title: Membership Manager
Status: Full Time/Non-overtime eligible (Exempt)
Work Schedule: Generally comprises ten eight hour days in a two week period. Some evening hours or weekend days may be required in addition to special event coverage in order to meet job requirements.
Travel: 0 – 10%
Job Summary: In charge of the museum’s membership programs, aimed at individuals who pay a yearly fee to enjoy special benefits from their support of the museum. Supports the growth of the membership program as it relates to earned income and driving new and repeat attendance. Also works in close collaboration with the Visitor Services team, which serves as the on-site membership sales arm and the Interpretation Department which develops and delivers member-specific programming. Responsible for managing the departmental infrastructure, including donor software programs and with the Director general administrative requirements.
Key Job Elements:
- Meets membership goals by program and category.
- Demonstrates an in depth knowledge of the Museum, its mission, culture, collection, programs and operations.
- Develops an annual membership marketing plan to acquire and retain individual members and to meet annual budget goals for the membership program.
- Employs contemporary outreach methods including but not limited to use of web-based media, direct mail, on-site and web site marketing, social media campaigns, and personal solicitation.
- Works directly with members, responds to questions, and maintains guest lists, coordinates and attends membership programs.
- Works collaboratively with Hillwood staff, especially Development, Visitor Services and Marketing/PR to achieve financial goals.
- Prepares and monitors the membership budget, produces regular reports, processes monthly mailings, online membership processing and other outreach campaigns.
- Maintains accurate and current donor/member databases utilizing Tessitura software.
- Oversees member benefits and ensures timely and accurate acknowledgment and fulfillment of benefits.
- Assures Hillwood website capabilities and content related to membership are current, aligned, and optimized in support of Development Department objectives.
- Contributes to the development of the strategic plan and assures implementation of assigned elements related to membership.
- Organizational Relationships
- Reports to Director of Development.
- Supervises assigned volunteers and outside vendors.
- Interacts with various levels of Staff, Visitors, Members and Volunteers.
- Bachelor’s Degree; some graduate education preferred
- Five+ years’ experience in non-profit membership, preferably in an art museum or public garden.
- Database management experience.
- Accuracy, timeliness and strong organizational skills essential.
- Solid writing and speaking ability and strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal communications with an emphasis on persuasion and generating action.
- Demonstrated time management skills and detail-orientation.
- Analytical and report writing skills.
- Access and employ job related computer software including Microsoft Office to include Word, Power Point, Excel and the Outlook email platform, plus Tessitura at an effective proficiency level.
- Works independently with limited supervision.
- Adept at correspondence and other required materials in support of membership activities.
- Well organized with a strong detail orientation and penchant for action.
- Must understand and respect confidential nature of development work.
- Customer service orientation and mindset.
Work Environment: The physical requirements and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job or may be encountered while performing the essential functions of this job.
The employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about their work area, between buildings and the campus grounds, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 25 pounds.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with a disability to perform the essential functions to the extent Hillwood may do so without undue hardship. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual who with or without reasonable accommodation can perform the essential functions of the position.
Notice: The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
To apply: We are a progressive, equal opportunity employer and all candidates are encouraged to apply. You can do so by sending a cover letter discussing your Tessitura experience and noting your pay requirements along with your resume to: Staffing-Dev@hillwoodmuseum.org