Department: Human Resources
Title: HR Assistant
Status: Part Time; Overtime eligible (Non-exempt)
Work Schedule: Approximately 25 hours per week consisting of 5, five-hour days per week. Additional hours may be required from time to time based on business requirements and to provide vacation coverage.
Travel: Occasional local travel related to training.
This position works as part of a collaborative Human Resources team in providing smooth and efficient HR services to staff and volunteers within their assigned areas of responsibility.
Provide effective and efficient HR support in the area of payroll and absence management, recordkeeping, worker’s compensation administration, safety awareness, and general employee services.
- Act as liaison with insurance carrier for worker’s compensation, unemployment, short-term disability and long-term disability insurance claims including making the initial report, tracking and follow-up with impacted employees and volunteers.
- Process and track and record DC and Federal FMLA.
- Act as part of the new employee orientation team and provide key training to new staff on ADP.
- Maintain up-to-date HR information in SharePoint and ADP Portal.
- Provide support for staff events.
- Serve as primary back-up for bi-weekly and special payroll processing; vacation and absence tracking.
- Serve as safety liaison with staff. Provide training and information as appropriate.
- General administrative work to include copying, filing, mailings, bill processing, etc.
- Reports to the Manager of HR Operations
- Significant interaction at all levels of the organization.
Knowledge and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent. Associates Degree or higher in a related discipline preferred.
- 3+ years of related experience, preferably in a non-profit.
- Proficient in processing bi-weekly salary and hourly payroll plus timekeeping using the ADP Workforce Now platform.
- Workers Compensation Insurance claims management experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent organizational skills and multi-tasker
- Works independently with a high degree of accuracy.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Professional demeanor with the ability to work collaboratively with all divisions throughout Hillwood.
- Exhibit excellent customer service skills to both internal and external customers.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Is regarded as credible and trustworthy with a track record of creating and working as a team member.
- Demonstrates a passion for Hillwood’s mission.
Work Environment and Physical Conditions:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a HR Assistant encounters while performing the essential functions of the role. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to receive oral and written instructions in English and to clearly communicate in English in person, over the telephone, through email and through other electronic means. Employee is required to move about their work area, between buildings and the campus grounds; and stand and/or sit for extended periods of time. The employee is occasionally required to lift, drag and/or move up to 15 pounds unassisted. The employee is required to visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess.
The preceding job description indicates the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time not does it proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at any time.
We are a progressive, equal opportunity employer and all candidates are encouraged to apply. You can do so by sending a cover letter which must note your pay requirements and your resume to:
Staffing-Admin@hillwoodmuseum.org Please reference “HR Assistant” in the subject line.