Title: Head of Maintenance and Facilities
Status: Full Time; Overtime Exempt
Generally comprises ten eight hour days in a two week period. In addition, some evening hours, weekend work and special event coverage may be required in order to meet job requirements. The incumbent also serves in an “on-call capacity” assisting with operational needs requiring immediate attention and emergency situations during non-scheduled work hours.
0 – 10%
Oversee the entire maintenance operation for 70,000+ square feet of building space located in 16 structures including supporting infrastructure in keeping with the standards of the institution’s founder as well as the quality and environmental requirements of a public museum facility. Be proactive in managing department staff and activities toward this goal.
Documentation. Responsible for infrastructure records management and underground utility mapping. Maintains as-built plans and historical documentation.
Budgets: Develop and administer annual budget and maintain and execute a 5 year capital plan.
- Responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of Hillwood’s structures and related infrastucture, including all operational systems—HVAC, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing and their physical condition (interior and exterior.)
- Assure skills are available (both in-house and outsourced) to address the maintenance needs of the institution, including HVAC, electrical, general maintenance and janitorial.
- Secure vendor proposals, tracking progress on all projects, maintaining budgets and reviewing invoices to ensure accuracy.
- Act as Hillwood representative with contractors ensuring that contracts are structured in line with administrative requirements.
- Establish and monitor daily work plans, planned maintenance, and capital improvements in line with strategic objectives.
- Develop and administer the facilities department budget.
- Work closely with curatorial, education and group sales departments to meet requirements for new exhibitions, programming and special events.
- Make available in-house staff training as well as opportunities for staff to attend outside professional training, as required and budgeted.
- Provide 24/7 on-call response to designated emergency situations.
- Ensure a comprehensive preventive maintenance program for mechanical systems as well as for all other systems and finishes of the structures including the management of service contracts.
- Achieve cost efficiency while maintaining quality through effective purchasing and competitive bidding practices.
- Insure that the department has regular communications (both in person and written).
- Selects, trains, appraises, supervises, coaches, counsels, disciplines and directs facilities staff in line with Hillwood policies, practices and requirements.
- Assure compliance with OSHA standards and generally accepted safe work practices. Insure all departmental staff receive periodic work safety briefings, and wear appropriate protective safety equipment.
- Designated an essential staff member during severe weather and emergency situations. Establish and implement disaster preparedness and response protocols.
- Reports to Director of Operations and HR.
- Serves as a functional expert to the Building and Grounds Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- Supervises the facilities staff and a variety of outside contractors, project managers and vendors.
- Significant interaction and influencing responsibility at all levels of the organization.
Requirements: Knowledge and Experience
- 8 – 10 years of experience in Facilities maintenance with minimum of 4 years in supervisory/management role.
- Must hold at least a high-school degree, with a Certified Facilities Maintenance designation. Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Construction Management is preferred.
- Must have training and extensive experience in a wide-range of maintenance-related fields including the comprehension of blueprints/as builds, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, roofing, woodworking, drywall and painting plus effectively manage professionals outside area of primary expertise.
- Demonstrated experience developing maintenance processes, protocols and approaches in support of goals and standards.
- Solid understanding of and ability to apply local, state and federal laws and regulations and cultural institution standards. This includes OSHA, zoning, permitting, building codes and preservation environment protocols.
Skills and Abilities
- Act and think both strategically and tactically.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment while managing several complex efforts simultaneously.
- Demonstrated competence in working with and across a variety of employee and leadership levels, to build appropriate consensus around facilities strategy and tactics.
- Demonstrated success in assuring skills availability and employee engagement.
- Has a highly developed level of emotional intelligence, thinks strategically, and possesses advanced math skills.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse population.
- Polished written communication and presentation skills.
- Organized and is motivated by efficiency.
- Demonstrates a passion for Hillwood’s mission.
- Regularly communicate in English professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means.
- Access and employ job related computer software (i.e. Microsoft Office, E-mail, Calendar and ADP Timekeeping, Work Planning, Office 365) at an effective proficiency level.
Work Environment and Physical Conditions:
The physical requirements and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job or may be encountered while performing the essential functions of this job. The employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about their work area, between buildings and the campus grounds, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 25 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with a disability to perform the essential functions to the extent Hillwood may do so without undue hardship. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual who with or without reasonable accommodation can perform the essential functions of the position.
The preceding job description indicates the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time not does it proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at any time.
We are a progressive, equal opportunity employer and all candidates are encouraged to apply. Generous benefits, paid vacation and holiday programs. So, come work “Where Fabulous Lives!”
For prompt consideration, send a cover letter which MUST note an expected salary range and explain your interest in working at Hillwood, plus your resume to:
email@example.com noting “Head of Maintenance/Facilities” in the subject line.