Title: Full-time Museum Shop Sales Associate
Reports to: Museum Shop and Merchandising Manager
Employment Status: Full-time. $15/16 per hour. Overtime eligible (non-exempt)
Time commitment: 40 hours per week, Tues-Sat, 9:15 to 5:15. Some evening hours will be required.
Primary Functions: The museum shop sales associate supports the Hillwood guest experience, inspired by the life of founder Marjorie Merriweather Post and her passion for excellence, gracious hospitality, art, history, and gardens, by providing exceptional customer service, conducting seamless and accurate transactions, and assisting with general shop operations.
Key Job Elements:
- Provide exceptional and gracious customer service by greeting and assisting Hillwood guests in a timely, professional, and engaging manner.
- Maintain strong knowledge of current, new, and upcoming merchandise and pricing to act as an expert for the customers.
- Develop rapport with guests, encouraging a continued relationship by promoting Hillwood membership and the marketing email list.
- Handle store opening procedures, to include counting the register, ensuring adequate change, verifying safe count, engaging lights and music.
- Conduct all aspects of shop transactional procedures, developing strong proficiency with point of sale software. Accurately total bills, take payments, and make change. Operate cash register with integrated credit card processing.
- Assist with other important aspects of maintaining the elegant, friendly, and accessible environment of the museum shop, including restocking and maintaining displays, keeping shelves, sales counters, and tables tidy and clean; stamping, marking, and accurately tagging price on merchandise in line with established protocols; and observing sales floor for theft and damage.
- Provide support as needed with receiving, pricing, inventory and other shop functions and assisting with annual physical inventory.
- Work as part of a team to ensure every guest receives the best possible service and to contribute to a positive work environment.
3+ years of work experience in a boutique retail environment with proven track record of exceptional guest service and customer relationship management
Skills and Abilities:
- Professional, friendly, and confident customer service skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to develop relationships with customers and co-workers
- Creative thinker who is solutions-oriented
- Basic transactional and point of sale skills are essential
- Flexibility with ability to adapt to the changing needs of each day
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual who with or without reasonable accommodation can perform the essential functions of the position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, stand for extended periods of time ascend/descend stairs, move about their work area, between buildings, and the campus grounds, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift and/or carry up to 25 pounds unassisted.
Notice: The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
We are a progressive, equal opportunity employer and all candidates are encouraged to apply. You can do so by sending a cover letter explaining your interest and your resume to:
Please note that you are applying for the “Full-time Position” in the subject line.