You are here
IVERSKAIA MOTHER OF GOD
IVERSKAIA MOTHER OF GOD
Made by: Unknown
Currently in storage
About this object
This icon is a copy of one of Moscow's most venerated icons, the Iverskaia Mother of God, which was brought to Russia in 1648 from the Iberian Monastery in Greece. The icon was installed in its own chapel in the Kremlin's Resurrection Gates. Every night the icon was carried throughout the city in its own carriage, bringing hope of a miraculous cure to the sick. Until 1929, when the Soviets demolished the Kremlin chapel, the shrine was an obligatory stop for foreign dignitaries and members of the imperial family on visits to Moscow.
This small icon of the Iverskaia Mother of God is set in an elaborate enamel and pearl-encrusted oklad made by the famous Ovchinnikov firm. The half-length figure of the Mother of God and the Christ Child seated on her left arm are turned towards each other although their eyes do not meet. Her left hand gestures toward him while he holds a furled scroll in his left hand and raises his right in blessing. All but their faces and hands are covered by the oklad. The robes are entirely of seed pearls of various sizes, sewn onto a white fabric backing and outlined in silver braid. A venets of floral patterned filigree enamel surrounds each head and the Mother of God's venets also has a crown with pearls attached to the finials. An overall pattern of filigree scrolls sunk in light blue enamel covers the ground. Around this run four wide filigree enamel bands, each with a latin cross in the center, with four more crosses within lobes at each corner. This lush design is set within a plain silver gilt frame, in the top center of which is mounted a knop with suspension hook.
- Object name:
- IVERSKAIA MOTHER OF GOD
- Made from:
- Tempera on wood -- silver gilt -- filigree enamel -- and seed pearls
- Made in:
- Moscow, Russia
- Date made:
- 12.1 × 11 cm (4 3/4 × 4 5/16 in.)
Detailed information for this item
- Catalog number:
- Signature marks:
- MARK on bottom edge: 1) double headed eagle (in circle) for the royal warrant, 2) P. OVCHINNIKOV' for the maker, 3) 84 for the silver content, 4) kokoshnik facing left for 1896-1917
- Credit line:
- Bequest of Marjorie Merriweather Post, 1973
- Featured in publication:
- "Russian Icons at Hillwood","Russian Enamels: Kievan Rus to Fabergé","Tradition in Transition: Russian Icons in the Age of the Romanovs","What Became of Peter's Dream?: Court Culture in the Reign of Nicholas II"