You are here
Made by: Imperial Peterhof Lapidary Factory
On view in: Icon Room
About this object
The chest was a twenty-fifth wedding anniversary gift from Alexander II and his wife Maria Alexandrovna to the Emperor’s brother, the Grand Duke Konstantin Nikolaevich and his wife, Grand Duchess Alexandra Iosifovna, Monigetti, the designer of the cabinet, was the court architect to Alexander II. When Marjorie Merriweather Post bought it in the Soviet Union, four enameled medallions decorated the front panels. When it was delivered, these had been removed. Post ordered lapis panels to replace them.
This ebonized wood chest with four doors is lavishly decorated in the neo-Renaissance style with gilt bronze mounts affixed to lapis lazuli panels. On the doors a framed and carved lapis oval is attached to the center of each floral and scroll design. Similar panels decorate the sides of the chest as well. At the top, a medallion of gesso painted blue contains the interlaced initials K and A of Grand Duke Konstantin and his wife Alexandra. Supported by two rampant griffins, the medallion is surmounted by the Cap of Monomakh, the old tsarist crown of Russia. The dates 1848 30 August and 1873 30 August are inscribed in Cyrillic on two gilded bands that hang below this medallion.
- Object name:
- Made from:
- Ebonized wood -- lapis lazuli -- gilt bronze
- Made in:
- RUSSIA: Saint Petersburg
- Date made:
- 215.9 x 109.5 cm (85 x 43 1/8 in.)
Detailed information for this item
- Catalog number:
- Signature marks:
- MONOGRAM in Cyrillic A K [On top] INSCRIPTION in Cyrillic: 1848 god 30 avgust 1873 god 30 avgust ( 1848 year 30 August 1873 year 30 August) [On top]
- Credit line:
- Bequest of Marjorie Merriweather Post, 1973
- Featured in publication:
- "Hillwood Museum & Gardens: Marjorie Merriweather Post's Art Collector's Personal Museum","A Taste for Splendor: Russian Imperial and European Treasures from the Hillwood Museum","Treasures Into Tractors: The Selling of Russia's Cultural Heritage, 1918-1938"