You are here

Vase

Back to the Collection

Vase

Made by: Imperial Porcelain Factory

On view in: Second Floor Hallway


About this object

On a white ground, vase was made in two parts and the pedestal joined to the rest of the vase by a gilt bronze band. On the front and back in the center of the vase is the star of the Order of St. George, surrounded by the badge and the chain of the St. Andrew order, all in colors. The neck, lower part of the vase and pedestal are decorated with palmettes and other motifs in gold. The two handles are clusters of flowers in ormolu imitating the Louis XV style. Made for Field Marshal Bariatinskii. There are no visible marks, but the vase is obviously not earlier than the second half of the 19th century.

Category:
CERAMICS, RUSSIAN
Object name:
Vase
Made from:
Porcelain -- ormolu
Made in:
RUSSIA: Saint Petersburg
Date made:
19th c.
Size:
overall __29.25 IN
overall __74.30 cm

Detailed information for this item

Catalog number:
25.348
Class:
CERAMICS
Signature marks:
NONE
Credit line:
Bequest of Marjorie Merriweather Post, 1973
Featured in publication:
"Odom, Anne and Liana Paredes Arend. A Taste for Splendor: Russian Imperial and European Treasures from the Hillwood Museum. Edited by Nancy Eickel. Alexandria, VA: Art Services International, 1998. ","Odom, Anne and Wendy R. Salmond, ed. Treasures into Tractors: The Selling of Russia’s Cultural Heritage, 1918-1938. Washington, D.C.: Hillwood Museum and Gardens, 2009. Distributed by University of Washington Press.","Odom, Anne. Russian Imperial Porcelain at Hillwood. Edited by Nancy Eickel. The Hillwood Collection Series. Washington, D.C.: Hillwood Museum and Gardens, 1999."