You are here

TEAPOT FROM A TEA AND COFFEE SERVICE

Back to the Collection

TEAPOT FROM A TEA AND COFFEE SERVICE

Made by: Gardner Factory

Currently in storage


About this object

Each of the vessels in this large service is painted with elaborate, continuous landscapes populated for the most part by peasant, including men, women, and children. They are shown engaging in pleasurable leisure activities such as traditional games, but these scenes are interspersed with more serious scenes or vignettes in which members of the nobility or gentry appear. A column serves as the central motif on each piece; on the larger pieces it is transformed into a pedestal that supports various classical figures. Attached to each column is the coat of arms of the Princes Kasatkin-Rostovskii. The shield is divided into two parts, with the Archangel Michael on a blue ground at the top and a running deer at the bottom. The whole shield is mounted on an ermine mantle surmounted by a prince's crown. To the right of the family arms is a vignette in which a seated noblewoman or gentry woman is cutting the hair of serf children. A little blond girl, her head shorn, stands to the right, while a second standing woman gestures toward a small boy waiting for his hair to be cut. The woman with the shears has stopped and looked away. On the other side, a Russian peasant man and woman have stopped to talk to a second woman in slightly different dress. She is turned away from the viewer.

Category:
ceramics, russian
Object name:
TEAPOT FROM A TEA AND COFFEE SERVICE
Made from:
Porcelain
Made in:
RUSSIA: Verbilki
Date made:
ca. 1820
Size:
25 cm (9 7/8 in.)

Detailed information for this item

Catalog number:
25.29.3-4
Class:
CERAMICS
Signature marks:
MARK G in blue underglaze on underside of tea pot Popov #117 (Gardner 1820s-1840s) mark GARDNER impressed in Latin letters on underside of tea pot Popov #84 (Gardner 1800-1820) coat of arms [arms of the Princes Kasatkin-Rostovskii) painted on tea pot.
Credit line:
Bequest of Marjorie Merriweather Post, 1973
Featured in publication:
"A Taste for Splendor: Russian Imperial and European Treasures from the Hillwood Museum"