You are here
Made by: Unknown
On view in: Russian Sacred Arts Gallery
About this object
Empress Alexandra wore this crown at her wedding to Nicholas II in 1894. It came to be considered part of the imperial wedding regalia, along with a diamond studded kokoshnik that was worn in front of it, long diamond earrings, a jeweled clasp for the robe, and heavy bracelets, some of which date to the time of Catherine the Great. Bands of diamonds are sewn onto the velvet-covered supports of this orb-shaped wedding crown, and a cross of six larger, old mine-cut diamonds surmounts it. Three rows of small diamonds with two rows of larger diamonds in between form the bands.
Crown of simple orb like shape, is formed of six silver bands surmounted by a cross and is encrusted with approxiamtely 1,535 old mine diamonds. The diamonds are attached to strips of fabric in rows as they would have been used as epaulet ornament in the 18th c. Diamonds from a doublet belonging to Grand Duke Pavel Petrovich. The crown is crudely made and has flaps at the bottom so it can be pinned on the hair.
- Object name:
- Nuptial Crown
- Made from:
- Silver -- diamonds -- velvet
- Made in:
- RUSSIA: Saint Petersburg
- Date made:
overall __5.75 IN __ __ __4.00 IN
overall __14.60 CM __ __ __10.16 CM
Detailed information for this item
- Catalog number:
- Signature marks:
- Credit line:
- Bequest of Marjorie Merriweather Post, 1973
- Featured in publication:
- "Hillwood Museum & Gardens: Marjorie Merriweather Post's Art Collector's Personal Museum","A Taste for Splendor: Russian Imperial and European Treasures from the Hillwood Museum","Treasures Into Tractors: The Selling of Russia's Cultural Heritage, 1918-1938 ", "Living Artfully"