You are here

KOVSH

Back to the Collection

KOVSH

Made by: Unknown

On view in: Pavilion


About this object

The handle is an openwork cartouche with a blank medallion for a monogram in the center, the whole surmounted by a crown. At the opposite end rises the Imperial double headed eagle. On the interior, in the bottom of the bowl is the Imperial double headed eagle with three crowns in repoussé and engraved, set in a medallion with a leaf border and with the background and all over arabesque formed by dots. On each of the four interior sides is engraved a floral leaf design with a leaf cartouche. On the outside of the bowl is a series of cartouches, some circular, some oblong, with leaf and scroll frames, each with an inscription inside. The handle and all the interior are entirely gilt while outside only the frames for the cartouches are gilt. The inscription is as follows: "By the grace of God the Great Lord, Tsar and Grand Duke Petr Alekseevich, Autocrat of All Great, Small and White Russia, in 1700 granted this kovsh to the Gostinyi Sotnik? Ivan Mikliaev for faithful service that, having been in charge of the Kazan Kruzhechnyi Dvor this year, he generated a great profit in collecting."

Category:
silverwork
Object name:
KOVSH
Made from:
Silver gilt
Made in:
Moscow, Russia
Date made:
1682-1725
Size:
37.9 x 22.5 cm (14 15/16 x 8 7/8 in.)

Detailed information for this item

Catalog number:
12.58
Class:
SILVER
Signature marks:
MARK, INSCRIPTION scratched under handle: [transcription]
Credit line:
Bequest of Marjorie Merriweather Post, 1973
Featured in publication:
"Russian Silver in America: Surviving the Melting Pot"