You are here
Made by: Fabergé
On view in: Icon Room
About this object
This ashtray is enamelled in translucent blue against a guilloche ground and features silver handles in the shape of serpents. The bottom of the ashtray is set with a silver Catherine II coin, dated 1772. Bunches of reeds carved from silver accent the tray at regular intervals along its edge.
A partly gilt ashtray with two handles carved in silver coiled to form serpents. The bottom is set with a silver coin of Catherine II. On the obverse is the bust in profile of the Empress, her name and title inscribed around the edge; on the reverse, the double headed eagle and the date 1772. The tray is enameled in translucent blue against a guilloche ground. The silver edge is a bunch of reeds tied by a ribbon at intervals.
- Object name:
- Made from:
- Silver --silver gilt -- enamel
- Made in:
- Saint Petersburg, Russia
- Date made:
- 2.2 x 11.7 x 8.9 cm (7/8 x 4 5/8 x 3 1/2 in.)
Detailed information for this item
- Catalog number:
- Signature marks:
- Hallmark K. Faberge in Cyrillic [К.ФАБЕРЖЕ] Hallmark partially legible maker's mark, A.N scratch mark 12511 INSCRIPTION “B.M. EKATERINA.II.IMP.ISAMOD.VSEROS /SPB” in Cyrillic [Б.М. ЕКАТЕРИНА.II.IМП.IСАМОД.ВСЕРОС / СПБ] ; “MONETA RUBLE” in Cyrillic [МОНЕТА РУБЛЬ] 1772 on coin INSCRIPTION "VIII. 1905. IX" and "C. N. Portsmouth" on reverse; engraved
- Credit line:
- Bequest of Marjorie Merriweather Post, 1973
- Featured in publication:
- "What Became of Peter's Dream?: Court Culture in the Reign of Nicholas II","Fabergé Rediscovered","The Art of Karl Fabergé and His Contemporaries","Fabergé at Hillwood"