Bring your Girl Scouts to Hillwood to:
- Create a jewelry box inspired by Fabergé
- Design a Japanese-style Garden diorama
- Host your troop’s bridging ceremony
- Enjoy an elegant tea
Schedule Your Visit
Programs are subject to availability. Your visit is not confirmed until you receive confirmation from a Hillwood representative by phone or email.
Girl Scout troops must register at least four weeks in advance.
Request a Girl Scouts visit:
- Online [link to online form]
- E-mail email@example.com
- Call 202-243-3935
Create a jewelry box inspired by Fabergé, design a miniature garden, and more.
- In Fabergé’s Workshop: Explore sumptuous jewlery and fanciful objects, including those created by imperial Russia’s legendary jeweler, Peter Carl Fabergé. Then create a Fabergé-style gold box to hold personal jewelry collections.
- Garden Journeys: Discover the beauty, tranquility and whimsy of the Japanese-style Garden. Explore the garden, read traditional Japanese haiku, write poetry of your own, and create a miniature garden diorama.
*Please note that these programs address requirements for Girl Scout Junior level badges that were retired by the Girl Scouts in 2011. It may still be possible to earn these badges while the Girl Scouts organization still has supplies. Hillwood’s educators are happy to customize workshops, when possible, to address other badge requirments upon request.
- Bridging Ceremonies: The half-moon bridges in the Japanese-style Garden are a beautiful setting for bridging ceremonies. After the ceremony, you are welcome to continue celebrating with tea in the Café, or a picnic on the nearby lawn.
- Girl Scout Tea in Hillwood’s Café: Enhance your visit to Hillwood with an elegant afternoon tea in the Café. Enjoy scrumptious scones, finger sandwiches, and cheesecake lollipops, after participating in a Girl Scout program, or exploring the mansion and gardens at your own pace on a self-guided visit. Contact the Youth Audience Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make arrangements.
Plan Your Visit
Transportation and Directions
Help us protect the art and gardens so everyone can enjoy them. Please review Guidelines for Visiting before bringing your group to Hillwood.
Girl Scout troops are welcome to make arrangements to eat during their visit.
- Café Dining: Purchase meals from the Café’s group menu to dine in the Café, including the special Girl Scout Tea menu. Contact the Youth Audience Manager to make arrangements.
- Picnicking: Bring a bag lunch or snack to enjoy on the lawn in a designated picnic area. Though there are no picnic tables, you may borrow picnic blankets or bring blankets with you.
Commemorate your visit to Hillwood with a Hillwood participation patch. Two designs are available: one in the shape of a Fabergé egg, the other a scene from the Japanese-style Garden. Enjoy the Shop’s selection of toys, games, children’s books, and jewelry.