Hints and Tips
Allow plenty of time: Hillwood guests average close to three hours per visit. Arrive early to allow ample time to enjoy everything Hillwood has to offer.
Visit Tuesday through Friday: Weekdays tend to be less busy than weekends.
Dress for comfort: Wear comfortable walking shoes and appropriate clothing for the seasons, so you may enjoy all the breathtaking outdoor spaces.
Every season is beautiful at Hillwood: Spring and fall seasons are popular, but the gardens have much to offer during summer and winter.
Please leave your pets at home: Though we share a fondness for animals, as our founder Marjorie Merriweather Post did, for the safety and comfort of all our visitors and the conservation of our grounds, pets are not permitted at Hillwood. We cannot allow entrance to any vehicles with pets inside.
Touring options: Hillwood offers a variety of complimentary ways to see the estate. Learn more and find the touring option that fits best for you.
Reserve in advance: Save time at check in by registering in advance. Visit us ONLINE to make your arrangements or call the Visitor Information Office at 202.686.5807, Monday through Friday, 10am-5pm.
Bicyclists are welcome: A bicycle rack is available near the Visitor Center.
Take a seat: Benches and select chairs are located throughout the estate and in the Mansion for visitor use. Take your time and rest often.
- All ages are welcome in the Mansion & gardens; when accompanying young children, please hold hands and stay together.
- While visiting, take advantage of our complimentary coat check.
In the Gardens:
- Watch your step; some of the natural stone paths are uneven.
- Please stay on designated paths.
- Please do not pick or gather flowers or plants.
- Visitors may bring food and non-alcoholic beverages for picnics, or purchase food, beverages, beer and wine at the Hillwood Café. Picnic maps and complimentary picnic blankets are available in the Visitor Center.