Hints and Tips
Allow plenty of time: Hillwood guests average close to three hours per visit. Arrive early to allow ample time to enjoy everything Hillwood has to offer.
Visit Tuesday through Friday: Weekends tend to be busier than weekdays.
Dress for comfort: Wear comfortable walking shoes and appropriate clothing for the seasons, so you may enjoy all the breathtaking outdoor spaces.
Every season is beautiful at Hillwood: Spring and fall seasons are popular, but the gardens have much to offer during summer and winter.
Touring options: Hillwood offers a variety of complimentary ways to see the estate. Learn more and find the touring option that fits best for you.
Reserve in advance: Save time at check in by registering in advance. Visit us ONLINE to make your arrangements or call the Visitor Information Office at 202.686.5807, Monday through Friday, 10am-5pm.
Bicyclists are welcome: A bicycle rack is available near the Visitor Center.
Take a seat: Benches and select chairs are located throughout the estate and in the Mansion for visitor use. Take your time and rest often.
- All ages are welcome in the Mansion & gardens; when accompanying young children, please hold hands and stay together.
- While visiting, take advantage of our complimentary coat check.
In the Gardens:
- Watch your step; some of the natural stone paths are uneven.
- Please stay on designated paths.
- Please do not pick or gather flowers or plants.
- Visitors may bring food and non-alcoholic beverages for picnics, or purchase food, beverages, beer and wine at the Hillwood Café. Picnic maps and complimentary picnic blankets are available in the Visitor Center.