Group Sales and Tourism Manager
Department: Marketing and Communications
Title: Group Sales and Tourism Manager
Status: Full Time/Non-overtime eligible (Exempt)
Work Schedule: Generally comprises ten eight hour days in a two week period. Some evening hours or weekend days may be required in addition to special event coverage in order to meet job requirements.
Travel: 0 – 10%
The Group Sales and Tourism Manager is the primary staff person responsible for actively prospecting for, soliciting, and securing group visits (tour and non-tour groups) and coordinating the daily operations of the group sales program. He/she performs a range of duties including generating and following up on leads, selling group visits, processing and coordinating all requests for groups, handling all group customer inquiries, producing status reports, and generating sales data. The core focus of this position is the development of sustained group attendance that meets established annual revenue and visitation goals. Additional duties include working with the local CVB and concierge organization to build the organization’s presence in the tourism industry, toward the goal of increasing attendance. The position also includes assisting the Director of Marketing and Communications and the marketing team and working cross-departmentally to coordinate special events as needed.
Key Job Elements:
- Identify and pursue strategic opportunities for capturing volume admission sales from targeted constituencies.
- Solicit and monitor leads for Group Sales based on revenue and attendance goals set with Director of Marketing and Communications.
- Meet or exceed goals for new and returning group sales contracts.
- In consultation with the Director of Marketing and Communications, formulate and implement proactive Group Sales marketing campaigns.
- Maintain database and track Group Sales leads, inquiries, lost business, sales revenue, and provide ongoing status reports as required.
- Develop and participate in targeted group outreach events and programs; make personal appearances to sell group tours to Hillwood.
- Coordinate and process all phases of group contracts; book orders, secure deposits and payments for group ticket sales, group tours, and VIP tour reservations through Vista Visitor Management system.
- Establish and maintain relationships with travel, tourism, convention and meeting partners with a strong focus on Tour Wholesalers and Tour Operators.
- Achieve established group attendance targets as assigned including day of week distribution and revenue.
- Attend travel industry tradeshows and hospitality networking events to promote Hillwood and develop strong positioning of group visit offerings.
- Report on customer relationships, sales forecasts, and new prospects.
- Participate in related sales activities, FAM events, programs, sales missions and tradeshows to achieve the sales targets.
- Manage various sales and marketing partnerships (i.e. Destination DC, Washington Area Concierge Association, American Bus Association.)
- Manage assigned revenue and expense budgets for fiscal year within assigned department.
- Coordinate with Visitor Services staff to schedule and confirm Group Sales reservations and tour requirements.
- Assure availability of private guides for all groups requesting a guided tour.
- Arrange VIP tours with approved staff and designated guides as requested.
- Working with Director of Marketing and Communications provide direction for all Group Sales collateral production.
- Follow up with group sales customers to determine satisfaction.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- Work cross-departmentally to book and coordinate occasional special events as needed.
- Reports to Director of Marketing and Communications
- Supervises assigned volunteers and outside vendors.
- Interacts with various levels of Staff, Visitors, Members and Volunteers.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related discipline. Marketing, communications, arts administration, or museum studies preferred.
- 3+ years of group sales experience preferably in a museum or large gardens environment.
- Demonstrated success in the development, management, and execution of group sales campaigns.
- Solid writing and speaking ability and strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal communications with an emphasis on persuasion and generating action.
- Demonstrated time management skills and detail-orientation.
- Analytical and report writing skills.
- Access and employ job related computer software (i.e. Microsoft Office, Visitor Management, CRM) at an effective proficiency level.
- Accuracy, timeliness and strong organizational skills essential.
- Works independently with limited supervision.
- Adept at correspondence and other required materials in support of development activities.
- Well organized with a strong detail orientation and penchant for action.
- Customer service orientation and mindset.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual who with or without reasonable accommodation can perform the essential functions of the position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about their work area, between buildings and the campus grounds, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 25 pounds.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
We are a progressive, equal opportunity employer and all candidates are encouraged to apply. You can do so by sending a cover letter noting your pay requirements and your resume to: email@example.com
Please note Group Sales in the subject line.
Due to the anticipated response, we apologize in advance that we will only be able to communicate with those individuals selected for further consideration. However, be assured that all submissions will be reviewed.