Title: Security Officer
Status: Full-time; Overtime eligible (Non-exempt)
Work Schedule: The actual work schedule varies based on need and employment status. Requires Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays. Evening and/or night hours may be also be required. Must be available to work in excess of scheduled shift without prior notice.
Travel: 0 – 10%
Job Summary: Incumbent is a critical member of a security team responsible for protecting the Hillwood’s collections, facilities, visitors, and employees.
Key Job Elements:
- Provide an unarmed visual security presence to ensure that the public has a safe and pleasant experience while visiting Hillwood, while also providing protection to Hillwood’s collections;
- Greet visitors at entrance gates and assist with questions, as needed;
- Conduct regular security patrols throughout the property to ensure the protection of the collections, facilities, visitors, and employees;
- Inform facilities department of any equipment appearing to be in need of repair, including HVAC operations;
- Monitor alarm systems;
- Be familiar with and understand Hillwood’s emergency procedures and be prepared to act accordingly;
- Facilitate crowd control as required;
- Provide assistance when visitors and/or employees are injured, contacting emergency services, as needed;
- Operate motorized transportation carts; and
- Other duties as may be assigned in line with the general scope and nature of the position.
- Reports to assigned Shift Supervisor
- Interacts with various levels and types of staff and visitors
- High School diploma or GED. An associate degree or completion of a private, military, or trade school training program that includes security training and on-the-job work experience is strongly preferred.
- Two years of responsible work experience, preferably interacting with and monitoring the public in a cultural property environment.
- Possess or successfully obtain a District of Columbia Security Guard license issued by the Security Officer Management Branch and maintain such license in active status while employed;
- Knowledge and use of a computer base security alarm/access control system highly desirable;
- Certification in First Aid, Adult and Child CPR and AED (automated external defibrillator) or ability to obtain once employed.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license for state of residence and an acceptable driving record for insurability purposes.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to interpret and apply policies and procedures;
- Possess and exhibit excellent customer service and human interaction skills;
- Ability to maintain composure in crisis situations;
- Demonstrate the highest level of confidentiality;
- Ability to complete thorough and detailed incident reports, statements, gate logs, etc.
- Effectively execute assigned work protocols;
- Reading and writing proficiency consistent with noted educational requirement;
- Must be able to work collegially and independent of intensive supervision;
- Ability to continually exhibit excellent personal and uniform grooming appearance;
- Ability to complete in-house or formal trainings or certifications as required;
- Operate and use required equipment skillfully and safely;
- Follow and give oral and written instructions; maintain cooperative working relationships; demonstrate sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse population;
- Stand, walk, and/or sit for extended periods of time with limited breaks;
- Move freely through poorly lit and remote locations, including steep terrain;
- Ascend and descend numerous flights of stairs;
- Work indoors and outdoors, in varying weather conditions; and
- Lift up to 50 pounds unassisted.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual who with or without reasonable accommodation can perform the essential functions of the position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate in English professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, and move about as noted above.
Hillwood is a progressive, equal opportunity employer and all candidates are encouraged to apply. So, come work “Where Fabulous Lives!” For prompt consideration, please send a cover letter (including your salary requirements) and resume to: email@example.com. Please note PT Security Officer in the subject line.