Part-time Security Officer
Position: Security Officer – Part-time
Reports To: Head of Security
Position Status: Part-time
Location: Washington, DC
Date of Distribution: October 2014
Incumbent is a critical member of a security team responsible for protecting the Estate’s collections, facilities, visitors, and employees. This person will work day and/or evening hours - must be flexible regarding weekend hours and holidays.
- Provide an unarmed visual security presence to ensure that visitors have a safe and pleasant experience while visiting the Estate, while also providing protection to the Estate’s collections;
- Greet visitors at entrance gates and assist with questions, as needed;
- Conduct regular security patrols throughout the property to support the protection of the collections, facilities, visitors, and employees;
- Inform facilities department of any equipment appearing to be in need of repair, including HVAC operations;
- Monitor alarm systems;
- Be familiar with and understand the Estate’s emergency procedures.
- Facilitate crowd control as required.
- Provide assistance when visitors and/or employees are injured, contacting emergency services, as needed.
- Other responsibilities as required.
- Stand, walk, and/or sit for extended periods of time with limited breaks;
- Move freely through poorly lit and remote locations, including steep terrain;
- Operate motorized transportation carts;
- Ascend and descend numerous flights of stairs;
- Work indoors and outdoors, in varying weather conditions;
- Lift objects weighing 50+ pounds;
- Subject to random drug testing.
- Two years of security experience required, preferably with at least one year of security experience in a cultural property protection environment;
- High school diploma or equivalent;
- Strong reading, writing, and oral communications skills;
- Ability to acquire and maintain a District of Columbia Security Guard license issued by the Security Officer Management Branch;
- Ability to interpret and apply policies and procedures;
- Possess and exhibit excellent customer service and human interaction skills;
- Ability to maintain composure in crisis situations;
- Demonstrate the highest level of confidentiality;
- Ability to complete thorough and detailed incident reports, statements, gate logs, etc.;
- Knowledge and use of a computer base security alarm/access control system highly desirable;
- Must be able to work collegially and independent of intensive supervision;
- Ability to continually exhibit excellent personal and uniform grooming appearance; and
- Certification in First Aid, Adult and Child CPR and AED (automated external defibrillator) or ability to obtain once employed.
Interested candidates should submit their resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (preferred method) or fax to (202) 966-1623.
No phone calls please. Hillwood is an equal opportunity employer.