Cutting Garden and Greenhouse Grower
- Select, purchase, schedule, propagate, plant, harvest and maintain flowers & plants grown in the cutting garden area, the greenhouse and in and around the cold frames.
- Maintain relationships with key nursery growers to obtain optimum pricing and plant availability while managing delivery schedules.
- Plant and maintain the seasonal display areas within and surrounding the Cutting Garden in addition to the front of the Greenhouse.
- Identify IPM issues and implement solutions within the Cutting Garden in addition to the greenhouses.
- Identify and implement greenhouse maintenance issues, needs and solutions.
- Develop and implement a regular fertilizing regime tailored to the various crops grown in the greenhouses and Cutting Garden.
- Order supplies and materials related to the maintenance of the Cutting Garden including the Estate and Propagation greenhouses.
- Harvest, cut and condition flowers; sanitize tools and containers.
- Water and maintain floral arrangements around the campus on a daily basis.
- Teach and work closely with volunteers to accomplish routine tasks.
- Perform routine gardens and grounds maintenance including weed management, mulching, leaf removal, deadheading, fertilizing, mowing, tilling and watering in assigned areas.
- Respond to priority two emergency statuses during storms or natural disasters that require gardens and grounds to be cleared of debris, snow or ice.
- Operate snow removal equipment: blowers, plow truck, tractors.
- Reports to Head of Greenhouse Operations and Design Operations.
- Interacts with various levels of staff, vendors, visitors, members, and volunteers.
- Bachelor Degree in Horticulture or a related field, or similar level of training.
- 5+ years of demonstrated experience in greenhouse operations and crop production, field culture, harvest timing and the conditioning of plants used for the purpose of cut floral arrangements.
- Knowledge of pests and diseases associated with growing annual flower crops in a greenhouse environment in addition to annual and perennial plants in a cutting garden.
- Must possess a Certified Pesticide License or successfully obtain one within six months of date of hire.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills including listening for understanding of directions and plans.
- Detail orientation with a mindset towards meeting Hillwood’s high standards for design and maintenance of gardens.
- Highly organized with demonstrated time management skills and including multi-tasking.
- Effective long-term planning with the ability to meet ongoing deadlines.
- Access and employ job related computer software (i.e. Microsoft Office) at an effective proficiency level.
- Works independently with limited supervision.
- Works effectively with and quickly gains the respect and support of horticulture and museum staff.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.