Seasonal Garden and Greenhouse Assistant
Position: Seasonal Garden & Greenhouse Assistant
Reports To: Director of Horticulture
Position Status: Temporary full-time (no benefits)
Location: Washington, DC
Date of Distribution: April 2012
The seasonal garden & greenhouse assistant works full-time during the peak Spring & Summer gardening season. There are no benefits included in this position. Typical work hours are 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. including one weekend day each week. This position requires a good amount of flexibility and stamina and willingness to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Perform garden and some greenhouse tasks including watering, mulching, pruning, weeding, potting, fertilizing and general garden maintenance.
- Plant, harvest, process, and condition flowers & greens for floral arrangements.
- Plant and maintain seasonal containerized display plants.
- Proper & safe use of hand tools such as weed forks, pruners, rakes, hoes and shovels.
- Experience with common garden and greenhouse tasks.
- Experience with cut flowers, harvesting, and seasonal container design is desired.
- Physical flexibility is needed to perform tasks that require squatting, bending and lifting.
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently with staff and volunteers.
- Ability to work in Washington DC hot & humid summer weather
- Demonstrated safe use of common garden power and hand tools
- Academic courses relating to horticulture are a plus.
Interested candidates should submit their resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (preferred method) or fax to (202) 966-1623. No phone calls please. Hillwood is an equal opportunity employer.