Jobs & volunteering
Become part of our fabulous team! Hillwood is recruiting volunteers for weekday and weekend positions.
Volunteers serve on a regular schedule, honor an annual service commitment, and participate in training and education programs. They also take part in volunteer-only events and receive discounts at the Museum Shop and to public programs.
Hillwood will be offering a new Garden Docent training course in 2015. Garden Docents provide regularly scheduled guided tours of the gardens, serve on-station interpreting the gardens rooms and collections, and assist with special tours, events, and public programming. Candidates wishing to be Garden Docents should be interested in horticulture, the decorative arts, and history, and have the desire to help visitors understand and enjoy Hillwood’s extraordinary gardens. Docents should have a flexible weekday and/or weekend schedule during May through June and September through November. While experience as a docent or teacher is not required, it is beneficial.
Successful docents will:
- Demonstrate a commitment to the spirit of Hillwood’s mission, vision, and interpretive messages and methods, and keep them at the forefront of all endeavors.
- Commit to serving four regularly scheduled four-hour shifts per month, during Hillwood’s operating hours Tuesday through Sunday.
- Participate in a series of evening training classes, most of which will be held weekly on Monday evenings from January through May 2015, and in regular continuing education sessions and reviews thereafter.
- Engage in a culture of cooperation, open and direct communication, and flexibility with fellow volunteers and staff.
Please click here for the position description and here for the application. Completed applications must be received by Friday, October 17. Please send your completed docent application to: LLeyh@HillwoodMuseum.org noting “Garden Docent Application” in the subject line.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact Lisa Leyh, interpretation volunteer manager, at 202.243.3938 or LLeyh@hillwoodmuseum.org.
- Visitor Services Volunteers offer a gracious welcome and interpretive assistance to Museum visitors in the Visitor Center and Mansion.
- Museum Shop Volunteers offer customer service in the Museum Shop and organize new merchandise.
Those interested in becoming a Visitor Services or Museum Shop volunteer should contact Lisa Leyh, interpretation volunteer manager, at 202.243.3938 or LLeyh@HillwoodMuseum.org
- Horticultural Volunteers assist with all phases of estate gardening.
- Floral Design/Greenhouse/Orchid Collection Volunteers work in the greenhouse and assist with floral design, plant maintenance and orchid collection.
Behind-the-scene volunteers should contact Bill Johnson, horticulturist volunteer coordinator, at 202.243.3927 or BJohnson@HillwoodMuseum.org
Please click here of the Volunteer Application